Altos Las Hormigas Malbec Reserva 2020, Valle de Uco, Mendoza, Argentina

Grapes from vineyards on calcareous soils located in the Uco Valley. 20% come from vineyards in the alluvial deposits of the Tunuyán River in Paraje Altamira, and 80% come from the high and alluvial zone of Gualtallary. These terraces have medium and large gravels, covered with calcium carbonate paste, which contributes to the structure, texture, and aftertaste of the wine. 100% Malbec grapes harvested by hand, selecting the bunches with care. During the fermentation/maceration, very careful pigeages were made in order to obtain an optimum extraction. The juice was fermented at 26°C (79°F) with natural acidity and indigenous yeasts that grant freshness, typicality and vibrancy. 75% of the wine was aged for 18 months in 3,500 liters untoasted, French oak foudres, while the other 25% was aged in concrete pools with no epoxy, so the fruit preserves its intensity and nature. Aged for 12 months in the bottle. This Malbec has a bright red color and a very intense first nose. Aromas of black fruits, such as blueberries and cherries, are complemented by notes of violets, white pepper, and aromas of the foothills of Mendoza’s mountains, typical of wines from calcareous soils. The fruit is the central character when the wine enters the mouth, with an acidity that works like a train that goes through different stations until it reaches the end of the palate, where the wine remains for a long time showing tension and a fine texture.