The Reyneke Vineyards are herbicide, pesticide and fungicide free. Just like any organic vineyard should be. Instead of spraying weeds with poison, we carefully select and grow companion plants amongst our vines to out compete the weeds. These companion plants have the ability to fix nitrogen from the atmosphere, help break up compacted soil or even harbor a beneficial insect or two. Planting, pruning, harvesting and general vineyard practices all happen at nature’s pace too. We work with natural and cosmic cycles, rhythms and forces that regulate all life on earth to create a harmonious whole. After being hand-harvested, the Syrah grapes are hand sorted before being processed into Nomblot concrete tanks for alcoholic fermentation. 30% of the grapes are left whole bunch, although the berries on the stalks get crushed to avoid carbonic fermentation at the bottom of the tank. The remaining 70% of grapes are destemmed before the single berries are pumped over the crushed whole clusters. Spontaneous, natural fermentation occurs with minimal and measured punch downs and pump overs. After the alcoholic fermentation is complete the wine gets pressed on the skins, before natural malolactic fermentation occurs in older French casks and larger 2500L Foudres. The wine ages for 14 months in oak and another 3 months in stainless steel to harmonize after final assemblage. Bottle aging of 8 months occurs, before the final product is released. A perfumed nose with upfront white pepper, spice and red cherry aromatics. Followed by undertones of rosemary and lavender. The palate is fresh and vibrant with juicy tannins and a well balanced structure. Layers of fruit, spice and dry herbs give an elegant and well-refined wine with a lasting finish. 100% Syrah.